Our clients have all been diagnosed as having mild, moderate, or profound intellectual disabilities. The majority of clients suffer from Down Syndrome, Autism, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Chromosome Disorder, Angelman Syndrome, and/or Rett Syndrome. Our goal is to provide our clients with customized services that help them increase their independence and achieve a higher quality of life.
HOW WE SERVE
• Life for families with an intellectually or developmentally disabled child is challenging. At the Arc of Buncombe County, we work to lighten their load by building a more integrative and supportive community for them through:
• We provide a specialist to work with individuals and families as an advocate to navigate through the difficult school IEP (Individualized Education Program) process and through the medical field.
• We lobby for legislation effecting people with special needs on the local, state, and national level.
• We provide direct financial assistance to clients and their families through the Assistance to Individuals program to help with emergency housing and utility bills, prescription medicines, adaptive equipment, and other needs as they arise.
• Finally, we seek to build and nurture individuals’ social confidence and abilities through our Social Enrichment activities including dances, family picnics, and our Operation Santa program.
Through our service programs The Arc of Buncombe County works to meet the challenge of building a more creative, integrative and supportive community for all persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
– Advocates to help families navigate the often difficult and challenging school Individualized Education Program (IDP) and the local network of healthcare services and providers.
– Lobbying at the local, state and national levels for legislation that affects people with special needs. The Assistance to Individuals Program that provides direct financial assistance to clients and their families, including help with emergency housing and utility bills, prescription medicines, adaptive equipment and other daily living needs.